Thursday, November 12, 2009

:O

Whilst reading a book, a song started playing on my laptop. It was called “time won’t let me go” by The Bravery. I began to think about this line, and realized that we are inhibited by time to quite an extent. We talk of being free individuals, but what we forget is that we are often limited by time itself n the form of our past and future. In other words, I guess we could say that we cannot be freed from ourselves. A lot of the decisions we make in our lives, the paths we choose, are dependent on our past. The past plays an influential role in making choices, even though sometimes we do not want it to. For instance, after having fallen from a horse when I was a child, I can’t choose to ride a horse even today, out of fear from my past, even though sometimes I feel like I want to try riding again. The future too acts similarly, disabling us from always acting spontaneously and living only in the present moment. For example, if I wanted to not attend first block, (ignoring school rules and attendance) I am free not o, however, in want of getting a good predicted grade at the end of term, which in turn would determine my future at university, I am forced to go to class. In this way, the future, or rather the fear of not having one, has successfully stopped me from making a free choice to not go to first block. It is extremely hard to make decisions without thinking about the past or the future, and to live completely n the moment itself.

As for me, I’m not even sure if living only in the present is what’s best for an individual. Granted, it would allow you to take risks and behave more spontaneously than otherwise, but an entire life like this might end up being quite harmful, given that we live in a society where your actions have implications not only on yourself but on others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment