Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bbay

Wow. I haven’t written for quite a while.

It’s project week at MUWCI, and at the moment I’m back home in Bombay. Last night, I went out with a bunch of my friends, and I realized how image-conscious they were. I guess after coming to MUWCI, I’d forgotten how the minds of people here in Bombay work. It seemed to me as though all they cared about was how they appeared in public, even if it meant walking around in heels that would probably be the cause of a two day foot ache. What’s weird was that, all these friends of mine, as I know them, are truly amazing people. But when it comes to going to a “fancy place” for dinner, they lose all their personal identity, as if transforming into these bodies that are identified only by the outside world. Last night, I questioned what makes up ones identity- whether it was what people view you as, your own personality, or a mixture of both. Or maybe it is something deeper- a soul? The existence of a soul is a whole other aspect that could be looked into. But last night, this concept barely crossed my mind- I more thought about why it mattered so much what people who barely know you thought about you, and even if it did, what exactly did this mean in terms on oneself? I can’t really come to a conclusion at the moment about this- but when I figure out what I think of identity itself, I’ll surely write some more about it. Right now, I’m still surprised with the extent that image seems to matter here at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment